Diversity in Graphene expands the scope and actions of the Graphene Flagship's Women in Graphene initiative.
Women in Graphene was first launched at Graphene Week 2015, providing all attendees with a new platform to discuss gender and diversity issues in STEM – particularly within the graphene and layered materials community. The broader Diversity in Graphene initiative will expand the horizons of our inclusion efforts, discuss topics wider than gender, and set up a pioneering mentorship programme within the Graphene Flagship.
The Diversity in Graphene initiative aims to create a collaborative research environment where everybody feels welcome, without any prejudice. Diversity in Graphene will lead the discussion about inclusion and diversity in the field of graphene. We will support under-represented groups in our community, fostering and supporting progressive improvements that will reach all structural levels of the Graphene Flagship.
The initiative will officially kick off during the Graphene For Research, Innovation, Collaboration online event in September 2020. Our goal is to reach the broadest audience possible, gathering members with a diverse range of backgrounds within the graphene and layered materials community. Together, we will discuss ideas that will lead to a more inclusive project: we want to make the Graphene Flagship as welcoming and all-encompassing as possible.
Furthermore, we will continue to organise an annual event to foster the career of scientists from under-represented groups by providing them with unique training and networking opportunities. These will resemble our previous in-person events and the virtual 'Women in Graphene' conference that took place in March 2020.
Activities organised as part of the Women in Graphene initiative
- Launch event during Graphene Week 2015 in Manchester, UK
- A session at Graphene Week 2016 at the University of Warsaw, Poland
- A career development day at University College London, UK, in 2017
- A session at Graphene Week 2017 in Athens, Greece
- A career development day at AstraZeneca in Gothenburg, Sweden, in 2018
- A session at Graphene Week 2018 in San Sebastian, Spain
- A career development day at the National Graphene Institute in Manchester, UK, in 2019
- A session at Graphene Week 2019 in Helsinki, Finland
- A career development day was held virtually in March 2020
Sign up for our newsletter if you are interested in receiving our Diversity in Graphene news and to stay informed about upcoming events and initiatives. Engage with our social media channels dedicated to Diversity in Graphene, on Twitter (@MyGraphene), Instagram (mygraphene) and the "Women in Graphene" Facebook group.
Visit our fellow flagship; the Human Brain Project, to see their work on gender.
Graphene Flagship Communications
28 August 2020 13:14