Diversity in Graphene
What is the Diversity in Graphene initiative?
The Diversity in Graphene initiative honors the importance of a broader range of talent, encourages the sharing of new ideas and experiences, and provides insight into the needs and motivations of an increasingly dynamic and intersectional world. For these reasons and more, the Graphene Flagship has recognised the true value of diversity from the very beginning.
Our diversity-positive attitude began with our Women in Graphene initiative – a series of events tailored to women scientists in the Graphene Flagship. This initiative ran every year in an effort to encourage women and girls to study and work in science.
Then in 2020, we reflected on our initiative and understood that it had the potential to be even more inclusive. We therefore expanded and rebranded 'Women in Graphene' to become 'Diversity in Graphene' – a broader initiative that celebrates diversity and inclusion, by building a welcoming community to raise awareness for all underrepresented groups in all STEM fields; particularly those in the graphene and layered materials community.
The initiative officially kicked off during the Graphene For Research, Innovation, Collaboration online event in September 2020. Notably, Diversity in Graphene continues to support gender diversity and commemorates the many achievements of our women scientists.
Diversity in Graphene Advisory Group:
|Aitor Villafranca Velasco||
IO-CSIC; Alcyon Photonics; PRISMA
|Alba Centeno / Amaia Zurutuza||
Bundeswehr University Munich; University of Heidelberg
|Letizia Diamante||University of Cambridge||UK|
|Mar Garcia Hernandez||
Check out our previous events:
- Launch event during Graphene Week 2015 in Manchester, UK
- A session at Graphene Week 2016 at the University of Warsaw, Poland
- A career development day at University College London, UK, in 2017
- A session at Graphene Week 2017 in Athens, Greece
- A career development day at AstraZeneca in Gothenburg, Sweden, in 2018
- A session at Graphene Week 2018 in San Sebastian, Spain
- A career development day at the National Graphene Institute in Manchester, UK, in 2019
- A session at Graphene Week 2019 in Helsinki, Finland
- A career development day was held virtually in March 2020
- Launch of the Diversity in Graphene initiative - September 2020
- 'The road to diversity and inclusion' panel discussion, September 2020
- Wiki Edit-a-Thon - February 2021
- Diversity in Graphene Career Event - March 2021
- Diversity Session at Graphene Week 2021 - September 2021
- Diversity in Graphene Career Event - May 2022
- Diversity Session at Graphene Week 2022 - September 2022
- Diversity in Graphene Career Event - May 2023
Highlights of "The road to diversity and inclusion" panel discussion, September 2020.