Highlights of "The road to diversity and inclusion" panel discussion, September 2020.
Diversity in Graphene
Diversity in Graphene expands the scope and actions of the Graphene Flagship's Women in Graphene initiative.
Women in Graphene was first launched at Graphene Week 2015, providing all attendees with a new platform to discuss gender and diversity issues in STEM – particularly within the graphene and layered materials community. The broader Diversity in Graphene initiative will expand the horizons of our inclusion efforts, discuss topics wider than gender, and set up a pioneering mentorship programme within the Graphene Flagship.
The Diversity in Graphene initiative aims to create a collaborative research environment where everybody feels welcome, without any prejudice. Diversity in Graphene will lead the discussion about inclusion and diversity in the field of graphene. Together with the Diversity in Graphene Advisory Group, we will support under-represented groups in our community, fostering and supporting progressive improvements that will reach all structural levels of the Graphene Flagship.
The initiative officially kicked off during the Graphene For Research, Innovation, Collaboration online event in September 2020. In a panel discussion, we shared ideas on how to create a more inclusive project: we want to make the Graphene Flagship as welcoming and all-encompassing as possible.
Furthermore, we will continue to organise an annual event to foster the career of scientists from under-represented groups by providing them with unique training and networking opportunities. These will resemble our previous in-person events and the virtual 'Women in Graphene' conference that took place in March 2020.
Diversity in Graphene events:
- Diversity Session at Graphene Week 2021 - September 2021
- Diversity in Graphene Career Event - March 2021
- Wiki Edit-a-Thon - February 2021
- Training for mentors and mentees - November 2020
- Launch of the Diversity in Graphene initiative - September 2020
Organised as a virtual event, this workshop aims to foster the exchange of experiences, practices and ideas related to the current and emerging topics associated with the basic chemistry approach, materials synthesis, application development and commercialization of graphene and related 2D materials.
Organised as a virtual event, this workshop aims to foster exchange of experiences, practices and ideas related to the current and emerging topics associated with the fundamental materials synthesis, physics and devices for graphene and related 2D materials.
Diversity in Graphene Advisory Group:
|Aitor Villafranca Velasco||
IO-CSIC; Alcyon Photonics; PRISMA
|Alba Centeno / Amaia Zurutuza||
Bundeswehr University Munich; University of Heidelberg
|Letizia Diamante||University of Cambridge||UK|
|Mar Garcia Hernandez||
Activities organised as part of the Women in Graphene initiative
- Launch event during Graphene Week 2015 in Manchester, UK
- A session at Graphene Week 2016 at the University of Warsaw, Poland
- A career development day at University College London, UK, in 2017
- A session at Graphene Week 2017 in Athens, Greece
- A career development day at AstraZeneca in Gothenburg, Sweden, in 2018
- A session at Graphene Week 2018 in San Sebastian, Spain
- A career development day at the National Graphene Institute in Manchester, UK, in 2019
- A session at Graphene Week 2019 in Helsinki, Finland
- A career development day was held virtually in March 2020
Women in Graphene career development day in March 2020
Women in Graphene career event in 2018